Helpful Websites and Travel Guides
Canadian International Education Websites & Transfer Guides
- BCCAT (BC Council on Admissions and Transfer)
- BCCIE (BC Council for International Education)
- CBIE (Canadian Bureau for International Education)
Passport Information & Foreign Representatives
- Canadian Embassies and Consulates Abroad Directory is a comprehensive list of Government of Canada diplomatic & consular missions overseas
- Canadian Passport Application Online
- Foreign Representatives in Canada List
Health & Safety
- Centre for Disease Control provides health information for students studying abroad
- Health Canada website has travel alerts and immunization information.
- Transitions Abroad Magazine is a resource for finding meaningful experiential work abroad, study abroad, cultural travel overseas, and international living.
History & Statistics
- Lets Go Travel Guide
- Lonely Planet
- Mobility International empower people with disabilities around the world to achieve their human rights through international exchange and international development
- Time Out Guide to 33 Cities Around the World
- World Travel Guide has Information for travellers with special needs
- Wheelchair Accessible Travel Guide
Passport, Study Permits & Visas
In order to enter your destination country and to apply for a student visa, you will need to have a valid passport.
Gathering all the documents required for a passport application can take a significant amount of time. Passport processing times can also be quite lengthy so please ensure that you apply for your passport as soon as possible. If you are a Canadian citizen, you can apply online at the Passport Canada.
If you already have a passport, it must be valid for at least 6 months after your expected return date to Canada in order to facilitate entry into your destination country.
In order to spend an extended amount of time studying in a different country, you may be required to get a study permit or visa before entering your destination country. Each country's requirements are different. To find out what the requirements are for your destination country contact your destination country's visa office in Canada.
It is your responsibility to ensure that you have the appropriate documents to enter and stay in your destination country for the duration of your exchange. Processing times for visa applications can be quite lengthy. Please apply for any required documents at least 3 months before your departure date.
Transfer Credit and Courses
If your school is listed on this website as a participating British Columbia Study Abroad (BCSA) Consortium institution, credits from any abroad program on this website will transfer. However, it is up to you to find out exactly how many credits will transfer, and that you meet the academic and language requirements for the program you are applying for.