Visit Colombia's Amazon Rainforest and experience its rich biological and cultural diversity. After a cultural tour of Bogota, you will travel south to the Calanoa Natural Reserve where you will engage in creative activities, trek and canoe into the forest, and learn indigenous knowledge from local guides and shamans. This 6-credit course and field school uses an interdisciplinary approach to explore themes of sustainability, conservation, community development, and indigenous perspectives.
Most of the trip will be spent at the Calanoa Natural Reserve, an artistic, ecological, and community-focused learning center located on the shore of the Amazon River. Calanoa offers an unforgettable experience of the rainforest through workshops that support a creative dialogue with local communities and the environment.
- Learn about Colombia's history, culture, and current issues from local experts.
- Visit Bogota's museums, local markets, gardens, historical and iconic architectural sites, and more.
- Trek through the tropical rainforest and boat down the Amazon River.
- Search for river dolphins by the Peruvian shore.
- Tour indigenous villages and meet with shamans, local artisans, and master craftpeople.
- Engage in creative workshops including pottery making, drawing, photography, and so much more.
- A 2-minute video about The Amazon Interdisciplinary Field School
- A 10-minute video about The Amazon Interdisciplinary Field School
Information about Past Field Schools and Destinations
Field School Dates
Classes at KPU: Pre-departure orientations and classroom sessions before and after the field/travel experience*
Arriving in Bogota, Colombia: May 1, 2020**
Return to Vancouver: May 15, 2020*
*Exact day/time for classes TBA.
**Travel dates subject to minor adjustments pending final reservations, but will occur around the dates mentioned.
Application Details and Deadline
Application Deadline: Monday, September 30, 2019
You can apply to join us on the Amazon Interdisciplinary Field School 2020 Design Field School in 2 easy steps:
- Step 1: Fill out and submit your completed application here
- Step 2: Pay your $500 deposit towards your program fees for the field school by Monday, September 30, 2019
Richmond Campus: R1400
Surrey Campus: Cedar 1145
Joseph Watson-MacKay - Richmond Campus
Field School Faculty Leaders