Visit London, England and study its dynamic urban visual environment in connection to the rise of consumerism and lifestyle branding and marketing from the 1950’s through to the present. Travel and explore while learning about the city through the lens of art history and contemporary studio practices. Topics and artists under examination will relate to the era of “Swinging London” fashion and pop art of the 1960-70s; the punk, new wave, and experimental art movements of the 1980-90s; together with the “Young British Artists” and street art movements of the 1990-2000s connected to mega-celebrity artist brands such as Damien Hirst and Banksy. Then travel to Venice, Italy to experience the Venice Biennale—the world’s most anticipated and attended contemporary art exhibition, held once every two years as a showcase of the best of global contemporary art. This is truly a trip of a lifetime—come join KPU’s Fine Arts Field School London/Venice Biennale and travel and learn alongside your fellow classmates and KPU faculty.
Full itinerary of visits to London museums, galleries, and key sites of interest related to modern and contemporary art, street art, fashion, and visual art and design history, including but not limited to:
- Tate Modern, Tate Britain, National Gallery, British Museum
- Victoria and Albert Museum, Whitechapel Gallery, Courtauld Gallery
- East London Gallery District, and Bond Street Art Tour (Sotheby’s)
- Visits to Southbank, Hyde Park, Central London, Covent Garden
- Optional day trip to Oxford, and London bike tour
- Comprehensive tour of Venice Biennale with all access multiple-day pass and tour of Venetian cultural attractions such as the Peggy Guggenheim Collection, Piazza San Marco, Saint Mark’s Basilica, the Grand Canale, and Ponte di Rialto. An optional day trip and tour of Florence will also be arranged.
Click the following links to download the poster and trifold:
- Poster: INTL_Field-School_London-Venice_Poster.pdf
- Trifold: INTL-Field-School_London-Venice-2019_handout.pdf
London, U.K. and Venice, Italy
Travel dates: June 1-June20, 2019
Note: travel dates subject to slight revision pending final reservations, but will occur in June.
The proposed itinerary covers the following topics and the timeline is as follows:
- Modern and contemporary visual art history and culture
- Post-war consumer culture and art forms
- London art neighbourhoods and art institutions
- Global art exhibition and art world trends
May 7-29: Classes at Kwantlen Polytechnic University, Surrey Campus
June 1: Depart for London, England for 2 weeks of scheduled gallery and museum visits
June 15: Depart for Venice, Italy and attend Venice Biennalep
June 20: Depart for Vancouver or continue your European travels!
CORE COURSES: 3 credits each
Students can enroll in up to 6 credits of courses (ARTH 3100 or FINA 3202) with at least 3 credits comprising ARTH3100. Note that no studio art experience is needed to enroll in ARTH3100.
ARTH 3100: London Calling: Post-War Art and Consumer Culture
FINA 3202: This Is Tomorrow: Art Forms of Post-War London
Pre-departure classes begin: May 7, 2019
No post-travel debrief required for this field school
Pre -requisites as follows:
- ARTH 3100: Any 6 credits of first or second year art history courses or 18 credits of any level university courses, or permission of the Instructor.
- FINA 3202: Any 6 credits of first or second year studio/design courses, or permission of the Instructor.
If you are unsure of your qualifications, please contact the faculty leaders with questions.
To request permission, contact email@example.com, including your student number, program, expected number of credits completed by Spring 2019, and a phone number you can be reached at.
January 31, 2019
Applicants must submit their online application and make their first payment of the $500 deposit by this date.
Application from Outside KPU
Applications from college and university students outside of KPU are encouraged and will be accepted and considered based on the completion of equivalent course pre-requisites. Some offered courses are transferable between institutions. See the BC Transfer Guide for more details.To arrange your application if you are studying outside of KPU, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org including where you are studying, your program, your expected number of credits completed by Spring 2019, and a phone number you can be reached at.
Richmond Campus: R1400
Surrey Campus: Cedar 1145
Alex Leach - Surrey Campus